Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Rangers Lost, But I got the Biggest Prize

J woke up this morning in a mood that would have the gods guessing who he was. He usually wakes up around 7:30 and plays with his books and such before he starts wondering where his parental figures are to deal with his hygienic needs. Typically he likes to watch the new additions to his fish tank for a good 10 minutes before I can change him out of his sleeping mess. He calls them ‘nays’ but in our language they are snails. But this morning, this child wanted nothing to do with mommy, clean diapers, music, fish or even his beloved snails. He took one look at me from his crib when I opened the door and started to cry. Then started to whale. This lasted for about an hour and a half. I usually let him call the shots. I’ll take him out of the crib when he asks, not before. I’ll start to undress him and change him as he plays with the various toys and throwable items in his room. Somehow I sneak a diaper onto his bottom before he waters down the fresh clean carpets. Today I couldn’t go near him at all. If I did come even close to him he would cower into the corner or the carpet so I couldn’t go near him and cry harder. You would think I was chasing after him with a hot poker or something.

This poor child woke up from his perfect slumber and found himself in some nightmare that he couldn’t get out of. What in the world could have set him off? That daddy didn’t come and get him. Was he still tired and wanted to go back to sleep? Who knows, but it was quite scary to see and I was so heartbroken to watch him be so upset.

He did make up for being an ogre this morning before bedtime. He always has a way of redeeming himself with me. While watching the Rangers vs. Canucks game he jumped up on me and gave me the biggest bear hug I can get from a 26 pound, 36 inch kid. He would stop and look at me and give me a kiss and do it all over again. I just love that little monster of mine! I just couldn’t get enough hugs. I was on cloud nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment