Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Recorded Memories

We take pictures our family members, friends, pets, various wild animals locked up in cages and don’t forget those amazing scenery shots you have to waste a whole roll on. Remember all those pictures and things you have seen through that camera lens? They probably would have been better remembered if you hadn’t been futzing with the apature or shutter speed or anything like that. But the fact you had to record the moment was more important that actually experiencing it in whole.

You brought the film to the store and a week later you got them back and for maybe a month you looked, ohh’ed and ahh’ed and then those wonderful memories were placed in a box somewhere and then forgotten.

Why do we do these things? I have hundreds of pictures in my ‘picture cabinet’ and I rarely take them out. Am I afraid of pulling out a picture of an old boyfriend and wondering if maybe I would have been better off with him? Or get that amazingly deep feeling that I thank every lucky star that that crazy man is out of my life?

It’s strange how now we always have this thing to hold onto and remember, but it seems so hard to actually remember the experience. Maybe if we took the time to sit in the glow of the warm sun and smell the beauty of the blooming flowers, the world would be a different place. Don’t you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment